Please follow this process for translating from a page to another:
Translating from an English Reference page
- Open the English page, let's take as an example the Welcome page.
- Look at the URL, it should look like: https://wiki2.openmandriva.org/en/Welcome.
- Edit for copying the wiki source code of the page.
- Change en in the URL by the code of the target language: https://wiki2.openmandriva.org/fr/Welcome (yes, keep the English title for now)
- Copy the source code. All the templates and images are shared amongst the Wikis, so the image will automatically be included, and the templates too.
- Save your page
- Only after the page is created with English name, rename your page in the desired language (Welcome->Bienvenue).
- Then you can start editing and translating the article.
This will create a redirection from https://wiki2.openmandriva.org/fr/Welcome to https://wiki2.openmandiva.org/fr/Bienvenue.
This way it will be easier to check is the translation exists in a language from another, even by someone who don't necessarily know the language.
Additionally, It would be a good idea to maintain the translation of this article.
Templates are pages that are included in another page. Let's take as an example the template Template:Main/About included in the Welcome article.
- The easiest way to find the templates included in an article is by editing it: t the bottom, you'll see a list of templates included in the Article. For example: Template:Main/About . Open it by clicking on the link
- Look at the URL: https://wiki2.openmandriva.org/en/Template:Main/About
- Edit for copying the wiki source code of the Template.
- Change en in the URL by the target language: https://wiki2.openmandriva.org/de/Template:Main/About (yes, keep the whole English title for now, even Template:)
- Copy the source code.
- Save your page
- Only after the template is created with English name, rename it in the desired language (Main/About->Accueil/ÀPropos, Template: is automatically translated Modèle:)
- Then you can start editing and translating the template.
Additionally, it would be a good idea to maintain the translation of this template.
Translating from an non-English Reference page
Imagine someone wants to write a great tutorial, but his English is not very fluent. Then he writes it in Spanish. Someone else things his article worth being translated in English. The step is exactly the same as when the reference page is in english. However, there is one step to add:
- If the Spanish page is called La Mayor Tutorial and has been translated as The Greatest Tutorial in the English wiki: create, in the Spanish wiki a page with the same English title: The Greatest Tutorial.
- Edit the Article and manually add a redirection:
#REDIRECTION [[La Mayor Tutorial]]
This is the same process for Templates.