OpenMandriva:Technical/M20130612

From Wiki [en] OpenMandriva
Jump to: navigation, search


TC meeting

Time & Place

Place: #openmandriva-cooker @ irc.freenode.net Date/Time: Tuesday 2013-06-12, 14:30 UTC

Time
Time zone Local time UTC offset
CET Tuesday 2013-06-12, 15:30 UTC+1
MST Tuesday 2013-06-12, 07:30 UTC-7
MSK Tuesday 2013-06-12, 18:30 UTC+4
VLAT Wednesday 2013-06-13, 01:30 UTC+11

Agenda

1. Release bits
2. AOB

Summary

Summary

LOG

[16:33:38] <bero> Hi, anyone here for the meeting?
[16:34:16] arisel is halfway :)
[16:34:21] <bero> Btw, re flac/ogg/..., maybe we should just add opus support while working w/ that code
[16:37:44] <Pulfer> bero: Well, if you can write full plugin for that :-)
[16:37:55] <Pulfer> I don't know opus internals well enough
[16:38:44] <bero> I haven't had a look at it so far, but shouldn't be much of a problem given opus is more or less the successor to vorbis. I suspect the API will be very similar
[16:39:13] <bero> Do you have some time to talk about the other KDE bits? I've been mentioning?
[16:44:49] <Pulfer> bero: Yep, just give me some time to push fix for kde4-audiocd
[16:45:00] <Pulfer> I got ogg encoding fixed
[16:45:20] <bero> ok, maybe some more people will show up too
[16:45:46] <bero> benatto: Got your message, I've given you access to openmandriva/* in abf
[16:47:58] <fedya> bero: me
[16:51:51] klebedeff [5086b5ad@gateway/web/freenode/ip.80.134.181.173] has joined #openmandriva-cooker
[16:51:57] <bero> Ok, let's make this a quick meeting given the low number of people there...
[16:52:15] <bero> So Brazil was good, it looks like we have a huge community there that we just need to tap into
[16:52:28] <bero> So we may need to be more communicative for a while ;)
[16:52:32] <bero> (see topic)
[16:52:59] <bero> For now I'll be posting short summaries of our meetings, but it would be really good if someone with more spare time could jump in
[16:53:21] <bero> We also built a new iso that works quite well (and found a couple of bugs too)
[16:53:28] <klebedeff> hi:)
[16:53:47] <bero> I haven't pushed it to the servers yet because there's some bugs that should be fixed first (and right now pam dependencies are broken)
[16:53:48] <bero> hi klebedeff
[16:54:21] <klebedeff> (will not interrupt, couple of small Qs later, when "other topics come:)
[16:54:35] <bero> So... another dev topic -- KDE panel. Pulfer: are you ready?
[16:54:41] <arisel> bero: hmm.. how is the plan there, btw: focus on getting everything fine also for arm, or focussing on having a working release?
[16:54:54] <arisel> (concerning eg pam)
[16:55:38] <Pulfer> bero: Not yet, I'm very slow when I need to focus on something (I mean switching focus from one subject to another)
[16:55:52] <bero> fedya: Both are important IMO -- but where it's mutually exclusive, I'd say have a working release first, that should get us some more developers to help with anything else
[16:55:52] <Pulfer> bero: I'll read your mail now and think on it
[16:57:07] <arisel> bero: did you mean fedya or me? :)
[16:57:14] <fedya> arisel: i'm working on arm project, bero sometimes help with suggestions
[16:57:26] <bero> arisel: I meant you ;)
[16:57:31] <arisel> bero: ok.
[16:58:08] <arisel> fedya: ah, ok. Since I would prefer having a working distri for i586 and x86_64 over a broken one for those and a working one for arm :)
[16:58:27] <fedya> bero: i'm too
[16:58:36] <bero> IMO the arm port is very important, but not as urgent as getting our normal release out
[16:58:39] <fedya> arisel: but for arm i'm working alone
[16:59:06] <bero> fedya: I'm planning to help w/ it some more once the x86 release is done - right now I think I'm more needed there
[16:59:28] <fedya> bero: of course
[17:00:52] <bero> Other than the KDE panel bits, that's pretty much the only topics I've had -- does anyone else have anything?
[17:02:19] <benatto> bero: thanks, ttyl going to grab some food
[17:02:28] arisel has been asked about getting the cooker ML to a more cooker-focussed ML :)
[17:03:01] <arisel> (before my longer thread mit Jeffrey, even :)
[17:03:43] <bero> Hmm... I don't think we have that many off-topic things there anymore... But of course we should try
[17:04:17] <arisel> could we ask people for some questions to eg use QA for that, or do we have a general discussion ML?
[17:05:18] <klebedeff> arisel if offtopics are an issue, we just need imo to word what exactly belongs where and have it in wiki
[17:05:31] <klebedeff> and post that link once to all MLs
[17:05:34] <klebedeff> ?
[17:05:53] <arisel> klebedeff: http://wiki.openmandriva.org/en/Cooker#Communication <-- does that help? :)
[17:07:17] <Pulfer> arisel: kde4-audiocd-4.10.4-2 is published. Can you please check flac and ogg encoding now?
[17:07:26] <Pulfer> I mean after installing the update
[17:07:49] <arisel> Pulfer: will be able to do in 2 hours. I'm just accessing a VM now, and do not have physical access.
[17:07:53] <klebedeff> arisel i think that people who do what you preceive offtopic do not mean it:)
[17:08:16] <arisel> klebedeff: maybe :) So.. do we already have some general discussion ML?
[17:08:16] <klebedeff> ie if you want only particular topics to be in ML - these topics should be exactly named:)
[17:08:21] <klebedeff> sure
[17:08:26] <Pulfer> arisel: Ok, please mail to Cooker ML then when you check
[17:08:29] <klebedeff> om-general@
[17:08:36] <arisel> Pulfer: will do.
[17:09:01] <arisel> klebedeff: ok, I will writa a suggestion for a posting over the MLs to you and you can take a look if that would help :)
[17:09:08] <klebedeff> sure:)
[17:09:08] <arisel> klebedeff: would that be ok?
[17:09:13] <arisel> perfect :)
[17:09:13] <klebedeff> tks:)
[17:09:58] <arisel> bero: that's been it from me on that, then :)
[17:10:16] <bero> ok -- anything else?
[17:10:43] <fedya> bero: what's wrong with pam?
[17:12:13] <bero> fedya: Requires libc.so.0.9.33()(64bit) [uclibc], but nothing provides that (instead, uClibc(libc.so.0.9.33()(64bit)) is provided
[17:12:37] <bero> fedya: Looks like the rpm dep generator has changed
[17:15:07] <Pulfer> bero: "Am I overlooking a reason to use the panel fork?"
[17:15:32] <Pulfer> bero: I need to discuss it with panel's authors
[17:15:42] Xu|Mobile is here and idling
[17:15:44] <Pulfer> Never liked this panel myself
[17:16:08] <Pulfer> My first action after installation was to remove Rosa's panel
[17:16:38] <bero> Pulfer: Yes -- another thing I'd like to know from them is "what -- other than the default icons it creates on first startup -- is the difference between rosapanel and the regular KDE panel"
[17:17:44] <bero> Pulfer: I've been able to put up something I believe to be an exact clone of the rosapanel using the traditional KDE panel with a modified layout.js file - so unless I'm overlooking differences, we could simply use the regular panel and get rid of the maintenance load
[17:17:48] <Pulfer> bero: That's a hard question for me because I never really used rosapanel :-)
[17:18:12] <bero> Pulfer: Could you pass the question on? It's probably easier for you
[17:18:26] <bero> We can try to make the final decision in the next meeting
[17:18:36] <Pulfer> Unfortunatelly, devs are offline today so I'll ask them later
[17:19:11] <bero> Sure, thanks. Any time before next meeting will work.
[17:19:25] <bero> Do we have anything else?
[17:19:31] <Pulfer> bero: BTW, do you know that Denis Koryavov left Rosa few weeks ago? He was the main person behind Rosa panel, Simple Welcome etc
[17:20:07] <bero> Pulfer: No, I didn't know... Hope someone else will take care of the projects
[17:20:37] <Pulfer> bero: It's unlikely anyone can really replace him
[17:20:54] <Pulfer> Denis had his own vision while others just write the code
[17:21:15] <Pulfer> So the situation is rather bad
[17:21:56] <Pulfer> Personally I never liked Denis' ideas on GUI
[17:22:02] <Pulfer> But at least he had some
[17:22:34] <Pulfer> The good side is that we can throw Denis' devs on other things
[17:22:34] <bero> Right...
[17:22:40] <Pulfer> Like system core stuff
[17:22:46] <Pulfer> Instead of GUI
[17:23:20] <bero> IMO we shouldn't start ignoring the GUI side... The best system core isn't useful if people can't figure out how to use it
[17:23:46] <bero> We could also use some more work on GUI bits, like finally replacing drakxtools components etc.
[17:24:15] <arisel> as long as it's fater release ;)
[17:24:21] <arisel> s/fater/after
[17:24:43] <bero> sure
[17:25:06] <Pulfer> bero: That's why I meant, working on better configuration tools etc instead of plasmoids etc
[17:25:11] <Pulfer> why -> what
[17:25:36] <Pulfer> bero: In fact, rpmdrake replacement is almost ready
[17:25:41] <bero> Yes, that's probably more needed right now.
[17:25:50] <bero> Pulfer: That's great news... Is the source public yet?
[17:26:09] <Pulfer> bero: I must check
[17:26:13] <bero> Pulfer: Also, are there any other projects going on that we should know about so we don't start doing the same thing independently again? ;)
[17:28:18] <Pulfer> bero: http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/dmitry_personal/repository/rosa2012.1/SRPMS/main/release/rosa-software-center-0.0.0-14.54bba5e.src.rpm
[17:28:58] <Pulfer> bero: This build seems to be rather old (22 May 2013) but at least better than nothing
[17:29:16] <bero> qt5 based... nice!
[17:29:18] <Pulfer> Source repo seems to be still private
[17:29:51] <Pulfer> bero: I guess that's the only important project you should know about
[17:30:25] <Pulfer> I also know that some devs work on Gnome 3 stuff
[17:30:34] <Pulfer> Some extensions for it
[17:30:49] <bero> arisel: ^^^^^ Just making sure you're seeing this, given you were also planning to look into replacing rpmdrake
[17:31:12] <Pulfer> But I don't remember any details because I'm not interested in Gnome
[17:31:18] <bero> Same here
[17:31:30] <bero> But we need to make sure anyone here working on gnome doesn't do the same thing
[17:31:39] <Pulfer> Surely
[17:31:45] <Pulfer> Communication must be better
[17:31:59] <Pulfer> Too bad we don't have any kind of manager for this
[17:32:19] <bero> yes, we need to improve this
[17:32:37] <Pulfer> Things could be better if our Cooker ML wasn't flooded
[17:32:38] klebedeff [5086b5ad@gateway/web/freenode/ip.80.134.181.173] has quit IRC: Ping timeout: 250 seconds
[17:32:39] <bero> I'm pretty sure there's also interesting stuff going on at Conectiva that we don't really know about
[17:33:00] <Pulfer> Is it still alive?
[17:33:10] <Pulfer> I thought pcpa is working for Fedora
[17:33:58] <bero> pcpa is working on both
[17:34:11] <bero> Some other guys there are working on other interesting stuff
[17:35:08] <Pulfer> bero: As for addShowActivitiesManagerPlasmoid.js, how urgently you need this to be removed?
[17:35:10] <bero> e.g. benatto said he's improving startup time in a side project (unfortunately it involves changing init yet again, so there's no way we should make an attempt at merging this before the release)
[17:35:29] klebedeff [5086b5ad@gateway/web/freenode/ip.80.134.181.173] has joined #openmandriva-cooker
[17:36:25] <klebedeff> (all finished?)
[17:36:28] <bero> Pulfer: Not very urgently, but having it removed would make my work on having different default settings as choices easier
[17:36:53] <klebedeff> ah, ok:) Bero, please say, when time for "other topics" comes:)
[17:37:06] <bero> klebedeff: You missed the part where we decided that whoever is not there is supposed to buy new computers for everyone else, but other than that.... ;)
[17:37:33] <Pulfer> bero: I suggest to wait a bit until KDE 4.10.4 update passes QA checks in ROSA 2012.1. Then I'll build package without addShowActivitiesManagerPlasmoid.js and ask QA to check the update for regressions
[17:37:44] <bero> Pulfer: That sounds good, thanks
[17:38:00] <klebedeff> hm:) I knew this day comes:))))
[17:38:23] <bero> Pulfer: I think its removal shouldn't affect us at all because our default config doesn't have/isn't supposed to have the activity manager, but always better to double-check
[17:38:58] <Pulfer> bero: Yes
[17:40:36] <Pulfer> bero: BTW, have you got something like qmake-qt5 for Qt5?
[17:41:17] <Pulfer> Older package backported to Rosa doesn't seem to have anything like that
[17:41:39] <Pulfer> So people run qmake with full path for Qt5
[17:41:44] <bero> Pulfer: You can always launch %_prefix/lib/qt5/bin/qmake - other than that, I don't think we have a versioned symlink
[17:41:47] blackcrack [~blackcrac@HSI-KBW-149-172-249-127.hsi13.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de] has joined #openmandriva-cooker
[17:42:38] <Pulfer> bero: Perhaps it makes sense to add it?
[17:42:55] <bero> Pulfer: Fine with me
[17:43:42] <Pulfer> bero: Can you? I never can find enough time to take a look at our Qt5 packages :-/
[17:43:55] <bero> Sure
[17:44:23] <Pulfer> Other than that, could be really nice to rebuild Qt Creator with Qt5 support
[17:44:37] <bero> Right... and qbs
[17:44:40] <bero> Death to qmake ;)
[17:44:53] <Pulfer> qmake was never good enough :-)
[17:45:06] jhonatan [~jhonatan@177.220.134.162] has quit IRC: Read error: Operation timed out
[17:45:10] <bero> qmake is the gtk of the KDE world ;)
[17:47:36] <bero> ok... any other topics?
[17:48:57] <Pulfer> bero: Well, I guess no
[17:49:21] <bero> klebedeff: So this would be the time "other topics"...
[17:49:26] <Pulfer> BTW, what's about libpng16?
[17:49:39] <Pulfer> Was it finally pushed to repos or reverted?
[17:50:16] <bero> Pulfer: I reverted it and pushed 1.5.16, but we haven't heard back from TPG about what it breaks/doesn't break, so the 1.5.16 decision isn't guaranteed to be final
[17:50:31] <Pulfer> I see
[17:50:46] <Pulfer> And what's about mass rebuilds?
[17:51:05] <Pulfer> We really need to have all repos to be rebuilt AND fixed
[17:51:22] <bero> IMO we should run them this week to make sure we don't get any unpleasant surprises w/ the package cleanups
[17:51:53] <bero> Of course if we want libpng 1.6 in, we should do that before the mass build, we definitely shouldn't need to run another mass build because of that
[17:51:59] <Pulfer> First Main?
[17:52:21] <klebedeff> well, it was an issue of the "speaker" for development issues
[17:52:24] <bero> yes, makes more sense IMO, main is the important one
[17:52:29] <klebedeff> as announced in the header
[17:52:34] <Pulfer> And the easiest one
[17:52:39] jhonatan [~jhonatan@177.220.134.162] has joined #openmandriva-cooker
[17:53:31] <klebedeff> should not be actually a developer (would be good, but not necessary), someone understanding good the product topics and ready to devote time to market it in wiki and other media
[17:53:37] <klebedeff> a very important role
[17:54:19] <klebedeff> probably would take that much from a person, but definitely requires devotion to push the story - and his own name:)
[17:55:04] <klebedeff> what you guys think, should we probably ask in facebook as well? in blog?
[17:55:21] <klebedeff> (where the record of the task stays)
[17:55:22] <klebedeff> ?
[17:56:32] <klebedeff> what other means of search could we have?
[17:57:01] <bero> Yes, probably makes sense... I don't think there's any obvious candidates here right now
[17:57:19] <klebedeff> yep, they would have answered:)
[17:57:26] <bero> Could post on sourceforge, but so far I never found much help there
[17:57:46] <klebedeff> if anybody will have ideas re this - would be grateful if you let me know
[17:58:03] <klebedeff> bero then probably not worth posting there:)
[17:58:06] <bero> Well, another thing to try: ASSASSINATION! BOMB! EXPLOSION! Hi NSA guys, now that I have your attention, maybe you would like to volunteer for the task? ;)
[17:58:19] <klebedeff> hehe:)))))
[17:58:59] <klebedeff> another Q was re actual link for the release version, but that seems to be fixed:)
[17:59:13] <bero> Well, there's still an open issue there
[17:59:23] <bero> Right now I just dump them on my own server
[17:59:31] <bero> because I don't have access anywhere else ;)
[17:59:46] <bero> would be good to have a place that is somewhere in openmandriva.org and that gets picked up by mirrors
[18:00:06] <klebedeff> good Q
[18:00:15] <klebedeff> relates to Brazil mirror as well
[18:00:24] <klebedeff> Infra did not come back to me yet on this
[18:00:54] <klebedeff> I will ping them quoting you
[18:02:31] DarkShadowKun [~44.dev.li@unaffiliated/xu-r/x-4741903] has joined #openmandriva-cooker
[18:04:34] jhonatan_ [~jhonatan@177.220.134.162] has joined #openmandriva-cooker
[18:05:23] <bero> anything else?
[18:07:02] <blackcrack> om-i586-linux-testingbox-AtlonXP1800+80Gigharddisk
[18:07:04] <blackcrack> http://www.blackysgate.de/bilder/index.php?album=Computa-in-tha-box..Dont%20say%20it%20FadEx!
[18:07:17] blackcrack [~blackcrac@HSI-KBW-149-172-249-127.hsi13.kabel-badenwuerttemberg.de] has quit IRC: Quit: Leaving
[18:08:11] <klebedeff> not here:)
[18:08:24] <klebedeff> (not anything from here I mean)
[18:08:35] <bero> Guess we're done then...
[18:08:46] <bero> klebedeff: will send you a quick summary for the blog/whatever